Uber Driver Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Uber is a popular ride-sharing service that provides a way to hail a car at the touch of an app on your smartphone. People rely on Uber for personal and professional transportation. Many individuals use this service as an alternative to driving their vehicles or using public transport. The last thing anyone expects is from uber is sexual assault and harassment. When you get assaulted by your Uber driver, you need an attorney who specializes in sexual assault by Uber drivers. Let’s look at Uber drivers’ questions and answers on handling sexual assault.
Can I Sue Uber If an Uber Driver Sexually Assaulted Me?
Yes, you can sue Uber if an Uber driver sexually assaulted you. If an Uber driver sexually assaults you, you can file a lawsuit against the Uber driver, and Uber, to get compensation. You could get compensation for emotional distress, physical pain, and medical bills. Usually, it is best to sue both the driver and his employer (Uber). While the driver may be broke, Uber has substantial financial resources to pay you compensation. If you are abused by an Uber driver, contact an Uber sexual assault lawyer from Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm in Los Angeles.
Is Uber Liable for Sexual Harassment?
Yes, Uber is liable for sexual harassment and sexual assault. Uber has a legal duty to protect its passengers from harm caused by a driver or any other third party. The company cannot escape liability by claiming that its drivers are independent contractors instead of employees. The company must ensure that the drivers working for them will not assault or harass their passengers. Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm will help you with Uber sexual harassment lawsuits if you have been sexually assaulted by an Uber driver.
What Measures are Uber Expected to Take to Ensure Your Safety?
While Uber does not have a responsibility to protect you from other people’s actions, they do have a responsibility to take reasonable measures to ensure your safety. That may mean conducting background checks on any driver they hire and making sure they are not allowing dangerous drivers on the road. Uber must also have an insurance policy that covers all of its drivers for any claim, including any sexual attack or harassment claims.
Should I File a Police Report Against an Uber Driver for Sexual Harassment?
Yes, you should file a police report for an Uber driver sexually harassing you. If you feel like your life is in danger, call 911. Even if the Uber driver doesn’t hurt you physically — he could be verbally harassing you or making inappropriate comments — it would be best to call the police and tell them what happened. If it would make you feel more comfortable to have a friend with you when filing your report, by all means, bring one along!
To increase the chances of winning your lawsuit against Uber, try to get the name of the driver or the driver’s picture. A doctor’s or therapist’s report will also improve your chances of obtaining justice against your attacker.
If you don’t feel comfortable calling the police yourself, as a victim of sexual harassment, you can always contact a local women’s shelter or rape crisis center. Sometimes these centers have advocates and therapists who will support victims through their interactions with law enforcement and help them file a police report.
You should also contact Uber and let them know what happened. It’s also important to know that you can find legal help for sexual assault through an experienced sexual assault lawyer from Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm in Los Angeles.
Are You A Victim?
Are you wondering, “My Uber driver raped me? Where can I get justice?” The justice system ensures that Uber drivers receive appropriate punishment for raping and sexually assaulting female passengers.
Clients often ask, “what are my rights if an Uber driver sexually assaulted me?” The sexual assault attorneys at Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm can answer that question because we have experience helping victims where an Uber driver sexually assaults, rapes, harasses, or kidnaps Uber passengers. If you are a victim of sexual assault by an Uber driver or fellow passenger, you can sue for damages. A personal injury attorney at Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm will help you navigate the legal proceedings and provide you with the best representation in court.
What Are My Rights If an Uber Driver Sexually Harassed Me?
In California, victims of sexual assault have many rights in civil court. These include the right to seek compensation for monetary damages such as medical expenses, lost wages and loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and more. If an Uber driver attacked you while on duty, we will fight to recover these damages.
An experienced sexual assault lawyer will work hard for you against Uber and their driver so that your experience does not go unpunished. We represent victims sexually assaulted by Uber drivers in Los Angeles, throughout California, and around the country.
Can I Press Charges?
Yes, you can press charges. Our experienced Uber sexual harassment lawyers will help you file an Uber sexual abuse lawsuit and ensure you get justice. You will also get assistance to press charges against Uber for sexual attacks. Uber driver assaults include rape, sexual harassment, sexual battery, inappropriate touching, and violent and sexual crimes.
What are the Types of Uber Sexual Assault Incidents?
Several types of incidents can be categorized under sexual assault by Uber drivers. These include;
- Uber driver sexually abuses a passenger
- Uber driver sexually assaulted a woman
- Uber driver sexually harassed a woman
- Sexual harassment during the ride
- Sexual assault on a female or male passenger by another passenger
- Uber passenger sexually assaults another Uber passenger in Uber carpool
- Uber driver sexually assaults, rape, harasses or kidnaps Uber passengers
When Can You Press Charges
People who an Uber driver has sexually assaulted should press charges against Uber for sexual harassment. You’ll need an experienced attorney from Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm to help you pursue justice in your case. If the Uber driver touched you inappropriately or the Uber driver groped you, you need to press charges. You should press charges against Uber for sexual harassment if;
- The Uber driver showed you porno
- The Uber driver showed you a pornography video
- The Uber driver showed you porn pictures
- The Uber driver showed me his penis
- The Uber driver showed you his penis
- The Uber driver was masturbating in the car while he was driving
- The Uber driver was talking dirty to me
- The Uber driver was talking dirty
- The Uber driver asked you for nude photos
What Should You Do If An Uber Driver has Sexually Assaulted you?
Sexual assault cases are no joke. If you experience such an attack, knowing what to do and how to go about it is essential. The company does have a zero-tolerance policy for such unbecoming behavior from their drivers. However, if an Uber driver sexually assaults you, here are some things that you can do;
- Ensure your safety as much as possible. Look for a safe place away from the threat and look for medical help immediately. The medical examinations will help in providing evidence for any criminal investigation.
- If you are in a safe place, call 9-1-1 and report the crime. Report the assault to law enforcement immediately. The police will document and collect your statement.
- Try and remember the details of the incident and driver from your app or by taking pictures if it is possible. You can write down as much information as possible about the incident while it’s fresh in your mind. Make a note of the time and date of the assault, details about the Uber driver, and any other information that could be helpful to the police. Try to get your hands on any physical evidence from the assault (clothing worn, etc.).
- Contact experienced sexual abuse attorneys that handle sexual assault cases in your state; they will guide you on how to proceed with filing a lawsuit against Uber or even the driver if they were not using their vehicle during the crime.
- Look or a therapist or counseling services to help you overcome the traumatizing ordeal.
Uber Sexual Assault Lawyers
Several sexual assault attorneys have a strong track record of successfully settling Uber driver sexual assault cases. They understand the emotional, physical and financial damage caused by sexual harassment. The lawyers represent victims of sexual harassment, assault, and other misconduct by employees and others entrusted with the safety and well-being of their clients.
You need a qualified and experienced lawyer that can help with Uber sexual harassment cases. The right attorney can be the difference between winning and losing an Uber sexual harassment case. For a free consultation, contact Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm.
The Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm – Protecting Sexual Assault Victims
Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm is a law firm in California that focuses on victims of sexual assault. If you were sexually assaulted during an Uber ride, we would provide you with the resources and legal representation you need. We focus on giving you the best legal representation, whether through trial or settlement negotiations with Uber’s insurance company. Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm is one of the leading firms specializing in sexual assault cases against Uber and other rideshare companies.
Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm understands that when an Uber driver sexually assaults or rapes a passenger, it can be a traumatic experience. Their experienced sexual assault lawyers will ensure that they meet your legal needs as they fight to get you the maximum amount of compensation possible. The law firm has handled all types of personal injury cases, and its attorneys know how to win cases involving Uber drivers.
Stats and Facts about Driver Sexual Assault Cases
Sexual assault and harassment claims against Uber drivers are on the rise due to the company’s business model. Since many of their drivers work part-time, do not own their vehicles, receive low pay, and do not undergo background checks, they may be more likely to commit crimes while driving than other types of employees.
Are There Measures You Can Take To Protect Yourself?
Yes, there are. To reduce the risks of being sexually assaulted by an Uber driver, report incidences, and ensure you are safe during a ride, you can do the following;
- Meet your driver outside and check the driver’s name and picture before getting in the car
- Ask the driver to confirm your name before getting in the car
- Sit in the back seat and not the front seat
- Ensure the license plate matches what is listed on your app or website
- Don’t engage in prolonged conversation with your driver unless you want to
- Traveling in groups is perhaps the best way to protect yourself from potential harm
- If you are traveling alone, do not share the car with strangers or exit the vehicle for any reason unless it is necessary
- You can use the app to share your trip with family members or close friends so that they know where you are at all times while taking an Uber ride
- Check out the driver’s rating. Before getting into a car with a driver, take some time to check out their rating to have some idea of what kind of person they are
- If your driver takes an unexpected detour or makes you uncomfortable at any time during your trip, you can use the “Share Status” feature to send trip details to a friend or family member and call 911 directly from the app
- Be extra cautious when taking unfamiliar routes and speak up if you feel uncomfortable with the ride
- Use the app to verify your driver’s name and photo
- Stop the ride immediately if asked to do something that makes you feel uncomfortable and call 911. You can also have 911 on standby and call if anything goes wrong
- Report it to the company when you are in a cab with an Uber driver who makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. You can do this directly from within the app or by calling their customer service hotline at 800-593-7069
- When assaulted, report it to Uber immediately, customer service, and the police.
Can I Use Uber at Night?
The answer is usually a big No. While it is possible to use Uber at night, it’s best not to make a habit of it. However, it is sometimes inevitable to take an Uber at night. To reduce the risks of being sexually assaulted by an Uber driver, ensure you do the following;
- Take note of the driver’s name, license plate number, and vehicle make and model
- Do not fall asleep in the car
- Request your driver’s destination before getting into the car
- Don’t ride alone at night. Travel with someone you trust
- If you’re traveling alone, request that the rider share their location with you via text message or messaging apps like Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. If they refuse, don’t get into the car because they could be lying about their identity
- Share your travel plans with a family member or a friend through the app
- Avoid riding with strangers at night
- Plan your route to your destination to know precisely where you are at all times
- Ensure that someone is waiting for you at your destination whom you can call when the cab arrives
- Download the GPS tracking app on your phone and send the details to someone you trust, such as a friend or family member
- Ensure that you stay in the back seat and keep your windows up all the time
- Trust your instincts
What Can I do About Additional Passengers?
People should be aware of the risks of riding in a car with strangers. You can never be 100% sure that you are safe, even if you have a driver’s license, insurance, and background checks. If you do encounter a stranger, avoid getting into the car and do not give them your personal information or credit card info if asked for it.
Avoid riding with strangers, especially at night. To reduce the risks of being sexually assaulted by the Uber driver or another Uber passenger in the Uber carpool, being kidnapped, or killed, you should:
- Ride with a friend and sit in the back seat.
- Be cautious at night when ridership is low
- When possible, ride in well-lit areas
- If you feel threatened during the ride, ask to get out of the car immediately, even if it isn’t your stop yet
- Choose your carpool partner carefully if you want to ride with someone else or have someone else ride with you, especially at night
- Tell someone where you’re going and who is picking you up
- Watch your personal belongings closely
- Get an Uber ride from the nearest place to your home or workplace where the driver can pick up other riders safely (for example: at a nearby shopping center)
Take a Precautionary Measure
Before requesting a ride from your mobile device, make sure that you only request rides from familiar drivers. You should never get into an unmarked car regardless of whether a man or a woman is driving it.
Ensure that the driver’s identification matches with the one provided by Uber before getting into the car. You can also request a shorter route if you feel that the driver is taking too long on the road or is taking an unfamiliar route.
Your Safety is Very Important
Unfortunately, female passengers in rideshare vehicles are at very high risk of being sexually assaulted by an Uber driver or fellow passengers. As an Uber passenger, you need to ensure your safety by observing the tips outlined in this article, reporting incidences, and seeking the services of Uber sexual assault lawyers. If an Uber driver sexually assaulted you or a loved one, you should contact us at Goodwin-Moreno Law Firm. We have lawyers with expertise in Uber sexual assault cases. We can help you navigate the legal process and understand your rights.